Resources & Links
The veterinary resources featured on this page provide useful information to pet owners on a variety of topics related to veterinary medicine and pet health care.
- American Association of Feline Practioners — The AAFP is like the American Medical Association for cat doctors, and has lots of good information regarding feline health.
- American Veterinary Medical Association — The AVMA site is a good starting point to learn more about a variety of topics and the latest subject in veterinary medicine.
- American Kennel Club (AKC) — A quick reference guide to many breeds of dogs, including photos and brief descriptions of each breed's characteristics.
- Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA) — This website has lots of pictures, as well as information on cat breeds, cat care, upcoming cat shows, and much more.
Humane Societies, Local Animal Shelters & Non-profit Organizations
- American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
- Fairy DogParents — This is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that helps prevent dogs from being surrendered to shelters. They provide assistance with food, medical, and general wellness needs of qualified dog recipients in Massachusetts.
- Kingston Animal Shelter — Provides temporary housing for stray and/or abandoned dogs and cats in our community, until permanent homes can be found.
- Petfinder — An online database of adoptable pets in the care of about 13,000 animal welfare organizations in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
Local Pet Services
- Doggie Fun & Fitness Center — A great doggy daycare in Kingston, which also offers training, grooming, and boarding.
- The Healthy Animal — A health food store for pets located in Pembroke, offering all natural and high-quality pet products such as dog and cat foods, treats, vitamin supplements, natural shampoos and skin treatments, herbal remedies for a variety of ailments, unique pet accessories, and much more.
Pet Grief Support
- Association of Pet Loss and Bereavement (APLB) — We have all experienced the pain of losing a pet. The APLB has set up this site for support during this most difficult time. You will find inspirational stories, grief counseling resources, hotline number and many other resources.
- Tufts University Pet Loss Support Hotline
Pet Insurance / Payment Options
Pet Owner Resources
- Behavior Problems — Founded by Brian Kilcommons and Sharon Wilson, best-selling authors and recognized experts on animal training and behavior, this site is a terrific resource for advice on a variety of behavioral problems. If you want to learn more about feline house soiling, barking dogs, aggression, or any other behavioral problem, check this one out!
- Choosing a New Puppy — This is a nice starter guide of things that you should consider when you are thinking about getting a puppy.
- Plants Toxic to Animals (ASPCA) — A lot of information about toxic plants can be found here. You can search under common name or scientific name of the plant.
Pet Poison Control
- Frontline Plus
- HeartGard Plus
- Hill's Pet Nutrition
- HomeAgain Pet Recovery Service
- Interceptor Plus
- Royal Canin
- Thundershirt - Dog Anxiety Vest
- American Heartworm Society — Everything you ever wanted to know about heartworm disease can be found here. Visit the Pet Owner Resource area for more information.
- Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC) — This is a great link to all of the websites of veterinary schools in the United States.
- PetCARE Television Network — Great educational videos on an extensive variety of topics.
- National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (NAVTA) — Here you will find everything you need to know about pursuing a career in veterinary technology.