Did you know that chocolate is toxic to pets? Holiday plants like poinsettia and mistletoe are also dangerous.

With all the holiday hubbub going on this time of year, be sure to keep an eye out on what your pet is consuming!

cat holiday treeChocolate

Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical similar to caffeine that can cause severe illness when eaten and eventual death if not treated promptly. A dog that has eaten chocolate will usually develop vomiting and diarrhea first, followed by muscle twitching, seizures, and coma.

Poinsettia

Poinsettias get a bad rep for being highly poisonous to pets, but this is not true. Poinsettias are actually the least toxic of the three decorative plants. If your pet eats part of a poinsettia, watch for nausea and/or vomiting. If the nausea or vomiting don’t subside on their own in a few hours, seek veterinary attention.

Mistletoe

Mistletoe is the most toxic of the holiday ornamental plants. Like the others, mistletoe can give your pet vomiting and diarrhea. But in cases where a large amount of mistletoe has been eaten, a severe drop in heart rate and blood pressure may follow, which then may lead to seizures and death. If your pet has eaten mistletoe call your veterinarian and ASPCA Poison Control immediately for treatment options.